HOMEY – Living with a Counter Cat
I’m a lot of cat! My Mom calls me a shoulder cat, lap cat, tripper cat, and a counter cat. Today I’ll be talking about being a COUNTER cat. I have Mom trained to feed me up there and allow me to lie about on the counter if I want to. I think if all 3 of us were counter cats, some things would change. Here are a few ideas to keep cats like me off the counter.
First, you should know that cats have a number of reasons for counter surfing – food being the strongest motivator than comes networking (counters are the perfect height for this) and finally they provide a safe haven from other animals in the house. My motivation is food.
People think that all cats are climbers but they are not. There are basically two types of cats – climbers and burrowers. Black Beauty is a definite burrower. She’s usually on the bottom shelf of the cat tree. I, on the other hand, climb all the way to the top shelf. Smokey’s a little too fat to be much of a climber but he manages to get on the back of the sofa and onto the futon.
So how can Mom keep me off the counter?
- She can make the counter uncomfortable for me. There are plastic place mats covered with double-sided tape. I hate the feel of tape on my paws.
- She could block an area or make it unavailable to me. I’m pretty flexible but she could give it a try.
- She could give me something that’s more appealing to me like a tall cat tree close by or a tall stool situated near the counter.
- She could try spraying me with water but if you choose this method, don’t let Fluffy see that it was you who sprayed her. Fluffy may become afraid of you.
- She could cover the counter with tin foil. I’m not too crazy about stepping on tin foil.
- Finally, the real obvious one, don’t leave any food out on the counter.
That’s it for now from Mom’s favorite cat (mew, mew, mew) Homey!