September Is Happy Cat Month
Happy Cat Month is dedicated to finding ways to keep our feline friends happy, healthy and purring all year long. The CATalyst Council, a national initiative comprised of animal health and welfare organizations working on behalf of cats, has released a list of the top 10 ways cat owners can keep their pets happy:
- Visit the veterinarian. This won’t make Fluffy happy but it needs to be done.
- Microchip your cat.
- Go outside (appropriately). Yes! Cats can be walked on a leash with a harness or confined in a special outdoor area.
- Scratch the surface. Cats should have places they are allowed to stretch and care for their claws.
- Provide preventive medications. A parasite-free cat is a happy cat – and will keep your family healthier, too.
- Train together. Cats are smart and can be trained to do fun tricks just like dogs, and the mental and physical stimulation is great for felines.
- Work for food. Feline obesity is a huge problem in this country, and one way to combat it is for owners to make their cats work for their food.
- Get your cat acclimated to the carrier.
- Provide prey toys. One of the easiest ways to make a cat happy is with a new prey toy.
- Think about getting another cat. Cats are social animals, and owners should consider getting another cat to keep their current kitty company.
Cats are wonderful creatures and are easy to make happy. During Happy Cat Month, the CATalyst Council encourages people without a cat to consider adopting one from their local shelter, and encourages people with cats to use some of these 10 tips to spoil their cats a little more than usual.